>

Prepare to be redirected to thebloominghydrangea.com!

This page is a time delay redirect, please update your bookmarks to my new location at thebloominghydrangea.com!

March 16, 2011

The Playroom Makeover, FINALLY!

Just to refresh your memory, here are the most recent pictures of our playroom area.  There are two nice size closets in this room and in between the closets there is a built in desk.  The room has carpeting which our dog thinks is also her potty area, pleasant I know.  For some reason I only have a few pictures of this room, I either didn't take anymore or the rest are hiding because even they are embarrassed of the state this room was in.










We are hoping to tear down the wall between the kitchen and the playroom next summer but we'll see if I can bear to tear down the cloffice and the now fun and functional playroom.  Our goals for this makeover are to get rid of the carpeting and replace it with flooring that dog pee doesn't ruin, organize the games and toys so that the kids can find them and might actually want to play with them, make it kid friendly, bright and fun all while not spending a lot of cash.  I think we did a decent job in accomplishing our goals.  We used black and white alternating peel and stick tiles because they were cheap, fairly easy to install, if the dog pees on it we can always peel it up and replace it and it was a fun pattern for the playroom.   Two years ago we paid $1200 for carpeting in the playroom and the hallway.  For the tile we spent $135 for the playroom and the hallway. 


 I really wanted my kitchen floor painted like this but I was too chicken to do it.  I love it and so far it's held up really well.  It is cold on the feet but we bought a rug from Wal-mart for $20 to put in the middle of the floor so the bubs can sit somewhere and play cars without freezing his poor little piggies off.
I painted the closets a lime green color, installed shelving and organized their toys in bins.  You can read more about that in this post.  I painted the walls a fun Crayola Collection color called Shy Turquoise, it's kind of bright but I love it with the flooring.  One closet is for the bubs and the three girls all have the other closet. 





We did rip out the desk and for now I have my white dresser that used to be in the living room in here.  I have the crayons, coloring book, markers and various other art supplies in the two big drawers.  I like that the drawers aren't easy to open so the bubs can't be digging out the markers and coloring the walls, dolls and floors.  I don't have a window treatment up in this window yet and I don't  know if I will put one up. 

I really wanted a colorful map for the wall and found this one at a local store for $17.  The kids love having a map and they often use it when playing American Girls.  They will pick a state or city that they are going to travel to and then talk about staying overnight in a place along the way.  So fun and a great way for them to learn some geography too!



I was hoping to find a kid size table and chairs for the playroom but when one child is 10 years old and the baby is almost 2, it was hard to find something to fit everyone.  So we traveled to IKEA and ended up coming home with this table and chairs.  The little table and chairs were too little for the bigger kids and I figured everyone is only going to keep growing so we went with the big table and chairs.  I love that they can now use Play-Doh and it isn't stuck in my rug under the kitchen table, they can use markers on here, they play school, restaurant and we have also occasionally used it with company for eating on!  Best investment by far was this set for $100.   I hung the chalkboard I made right near the table so they could play school, the post on how I made the chalkboard is here.  I found that cute little bucket in the dollar section at Target, I thought it would be perfect for holding chalk and the eraser.   I stuck a Command hook on the wall and voila!




I fell in love with the rain gutter bookshelves a few months ago and was hoping to be able to add them to our room.  This past weekend we managed to buy the gutter for $1 but the brackets and end caps were $15 total.  At least the gutter part was cheap!  The bubs has been loving his books in the new bookshelves, he is so cute, he'll just pick out a book and sit and look at it.




I wanted a way to display the 20 million pieces of artwork we receive from our children each day.  I purchased the last three giant wooden clothespins at Hobby Lobby and have been on the lookout for a fourth one but they are sold out every time I go!  I was going to string them up but I thought they would look cute on a picture frame with some cute scrapping paper.  I think I might switch them out to bigger frames but for now it works.  I am also hoping to find giant letters that spell READ and put those above the bookshelves and move the artwork above the chalkboard.  Anyone have any big letters for me?






Finally, in November we decided to make a kitchen for our children, we found some furniture, a dog bowl, a board and various pieces of plumbing and came up with this.  Here is what it looked like originally:

I painted it white, added a cute little skirt made out of some fun material, a fun little rug and garbage can from the dollar section at Target and she looks so much better now! 


I also managed to find some fun striped curtains for this window at Target on clearance for only $7.50 each.  They were originally shower curtains but after folding over the top part of the shower curtain and some curtain clips from IKEA, you would never know they were shower curtains! 
I  also hung those three red mirrors for fun, another Target deal, only $1.24 each!  So there it is, the playroom makeover!  Here are a few before and afters of the playroom just in case you haven't had enough!














And just to keep it real, here is what it looked like a few days ago when I was painting chairs and my children were making forts on Spring Break:


They were doing what this room was made for, Playing in! 

Feel free to check out our Closet Turned Office or Cloffice and also Our Kitchen Remodel.
 Thanks for stopping by!


I'm linking up at the following places:







HookingupwithHoH









The House Creative

Stuff and Nonsense







Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up
    party!


Photobucket

40 comments:

  1. I loooove this color ! The little shelves holdin the books are he cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great room! Now everyone will really enjoy it! LOVE the floor! WOW! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job! Wanna come to my house and work on our playroom??? lol I love the floor with the wall color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did such an awesome job! I love the color and how you made the space so inviting for the kids and as they grow you can change it up so easily! Thanks for sharing!

    Where did you end up putting your computer?

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great room transformation...it's like you've got your own pre-school! Your kids must love it! When my own kids were younger they always liked to play close to where I was- which is why a main floor play room makes so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ange!!! This is A.MA.ZING! Truly, my mouth is hanging open. I cannot even believe it is the same space and every detail is so carefully thought out and executed and it isn't only functional it is just plain FUN! I'm off to text Heather now so she can come over and see it! :-)
    Vanessa
    P.S. Did I use enough exclamation points or what?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is truly amazing!! I LOVE the floor and how organized!! I love organization!! would love for you to come link up to handmade tuesdays @ www.ladybug-blessings.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the cheerful colors. I'm a sucker for bright walls with pops of black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that color combo, it's such a bright and inviting space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great. I love the amount of storage you have there. Great color choices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! It's got a great retro feel to it! I sure hope the whole family enjoys it (although I know they will!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. this looks so cute! i love the floor and the gutter shelves are great! what a cool transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a wonderful transformation! Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!! SO, So, SO much better!! isn't it amazing that we just place items in a room and think that will do for now...'for now' ends up being waaay to long; then when we finally get around to the make-over we wonder how on earth did we ever think that 'foe now' was ok?! especially for our kiddos??! Mine is worse, don't think I have the nerve to post before pics, and I am going on that waaay waaay to long period!! Gotta get in gear and make over this room before little guy goes to college! (He is almost 4)
    come see me!!! www.paintedfresh.blogspot.com

    ~Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE THIS! Love the floor, the colour, the table and chairs, the closets!!!

    I agree that you shouldn't use a curtain on teh little window but what about a little bunting? I think that would be cute.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This room looks like so much fun to play in! You did such a great job transforming it from a normal play area to a fabulous playroom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Ange! I just had to come back over and tell you again how fabulous this looks and how happy we are that you linked it up to Inspiration Friday this week. I really did go and text Heather right after I saw it the first time! :-)
    Have a great weekend,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE IT! I really love the blue, Thats the flooring that I have been trying to talk my husband into doing in out kitchen/dining room. www.mylifeunzipped.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. The paint colors make it look so fresh! Love the placemats on the table! perfect down to every deatail!

    I am having a giveaway on my blog. $35 + free shipping to design your own custom trendy backpack for your kid from PaigeHollidays Designs(etsy).Check it out!
    http://houseonashwelllane.blogspot.com/2011/03/35-store-credit-free-shipping-to-get.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ange, this looks great! I LOVE the color! So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow what a great space for kids to play! I'm getting ready to start on our own playroom next week, thanks for all the great ideas!I'd love to have you share this at my VIP party today @ http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/03/vip-party-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great transformation! Our playroom is in need of a makeover too. Right now, it is just plain ol' builder beige with a couch, chair, tv on a bookshelf and a bunch of toys scattered everywhere...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I totally love the gutter book shelves and now I'm jealous and want to play at your house, if I was a kid that is... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job!!!!!! I need to do my playroom over. My kids get to sleep in the playroom on Friday nights so there is a bed in there but I am rethinking having a bed it just takes up to much room.
    www.chandrassouthernlife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Okay I just realized I oohed and ahhed with Vanessa over this and forgot to say anything! Ange this so totally rocks! I wish I had been able to have a room like this for my kiddos when they were little. It is so perfect and even better you did it on a budget which makes it that much better! Great job my friend, you should be proud of this fabulous room.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a transformation! You did a wonderful job with this playroom. Everything is so organized now. Love the floor and all the colors you used in this room.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing! It looks like so much fun. The floor and the colors are great together.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, I love the color combo of the floor and the wall color! The sticky tiles look great, too. Very inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i had to laugh at the last photo of reality...it is what that room was made for and i'm sure your kidlets are loving it...the colors really pop and you made excellent use of the space...so glad you linked up to fridays unfolded!

    blessings,

    alison
    stuff and nonsense

    ReplyDelete
  30. what a great makeover! it looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I will be featuring this on Wednesday! xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is amazing- I really like the black and white tiles with the blue walls. What an amazing makeover! (And thanks for the comment on my blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Well done! Love this post...thank you for linking up to Whassup Wednesday! Hope to see you tomorrow:)

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  34. My favorite part is the map/chalkboard, ikea table! Awesome! Cool make-shift kitchen too! How much did this cost to make? Looks like the upper part of a desk? Paint does wonders and transforms anything!

    ReplyDelete
  35. SO fabulous...and probably makes you so happy to even walk by such a fun space!

    come enter my giveaway
    chickhardware.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  36. AMAZING!!! Wow!! I am lovin' the aqua blue. And the tile, ack! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love the organization and book display but i especially LOVE the floor. I have always wanted a black and white checked floor. Maybe someday!

    happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Fabulous! I am officially obsessed with your blog! I'm your newest follower and hope you can come visit me sometime too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. this turned out amazing! thanks for stopping by type A and commenting on my son's room and curtains. i can't wait to see what you do with your son's room. i just became your newest follower! nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment, I love to hear from you!