Chicken Noodle Casserole
• 2/3 cup chopped onion
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
• 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
• 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken broth
• 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed veggies
• 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
• 3 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 3/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
• 1 1/2 cups 2% milk
• 1 1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
• 8 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add chicken; cook and stir until no longer pink. Add the broth, frozen veggies, and savory. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over chicken mixture. Add noodles; mix well.
3. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until bubbly.
I sometimes top this one with bisquick and make it more pot pie like but it's yummy either way.